Sunday, February 2, 2014

Organic vs. GMO?

HI there!

Alright so I am in full swing now. Returning from my family loss, although he will never be forgotten, cleared and ready to go! Some ideas that came up last week were the idea of organic vs. GMO. How would these fruits and vegetables decomposed according to how they have been packaged and produced. I am currently studying some carrots for this idea, a canned , frozen and organic carrots. Unfortunately what most people come to know as a carrot is the baby carrot which is not necessarily a carrot at all. I tried both these while making prints and placing them into jars and I was disgusted. I could never make a meal with this food, or course that is my personal opinion but I think life would be far more rich for any individual if they made the choice to go organic. That debate is something I am always interested in. Here are a couple images.


Ok. SO this whole idea brings me to the concept of food waste. I received a lot of books that I ordered this week and last. Ones I am reading are: American Wasteland, Waste by Jonathan Bloom; Uncovering the global food scandal by Tristram Stuart, The ARt of Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz, Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland and a couple books on paper making. 

So food waste is a theory that I may come to investigate through this work. So far the beginnings of the books are all aligned with ideas I have expressed for years and thoughts that have come to mind when thinking about art and food.  With this idea I have researched a couple recipes that I thought would be interesting to make and I am about to go to the store and buy their ingredients now and make them. I will make these dishes and allow one to decompose and I will also be photographing the finished product along with my attempts the make a video of myself eating the food. Why? Not sure. That answer will come later after I review how terrible or great it all seems. The joys of art and experiments. Besides that I want to further study the idea of making food and printing it on coated plates like I did earlier last week and posted some pictures. 

While studying food and art I found a couple artists that were quite interesting. Here are some links to their work. 
ANYA GALLACCIO

Justin Beal


I came across these artists on this page :



Here are a couple more images of experiments I did this week. I will be working on making more dyed fabrics and printing on them. Almong with sewing them together, making more constellations which I did the end of the last semester and should put some images up for you all. I will continue with the idea of plates, food, recipes, videos, etc. 




Lots of work so I must get to it. This morning was a time of academic reading and preparation. I know want to get my hands dirty!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment