Monday, August 5, 2013

Old results, artist, ideas....

Ok. SO I am going to try to not get mad here since the computer just erased and did not save any of the great ideas I just wrote about in this post...its alright....nothing I can do but try to re-write it. 

Alright, so today and the household chores did not work as well as I had hoped. I added some notes to the notes page on two resources I used and I am almost done my book but may not be able to finish those notes by the end of the evening but I will redeem myself hopefully tomorrow morning! 

Here you have all the materials I went out and got at the grocery store and I will coat a little piece of paper with them tonight to do a group exposure tomorrow and wednesday to see how they come out. The sun is on its way down currently and with my other frames I will have to put in some leaves like I said earlier. Here you see pepper, carrots, blueberries, grapes, fennel, red cabbage, and raspberries. We shall see what tomorrow yields for these emulsions but I am very excited about the colors right now. 


So last week I did a couple exposures on the paper I coated with beets, wine and other matter.  Here are two of leaves from some house hold plants, you know the ones you cant kill and everyone has. They dried up and became very fragile and transparent along with extremely flat. So looking at them and feeling them I got to thinking could I make these negatives to print in the darkroom? So I started thinking about a way to transfer emulsion from a negative to a leaf and then printing the leaf in the darkroom. I also was thinking about Caleb and I and our discussion at our first meeting about setting up a camera obscura and capturing the sun rays on a leaf. Well which one would be better to use? A leaf such as this or a new one that still has so much life...guess Ill try both. I put some fire to one of them to see how it would recieve it took to it right away, bubbling up and then setting fire because I put it too close to the leaf. So another thought was could I burn an image onto a leaf and then print that in the darkroom? Looks like another experiment. I will surely have a todo list at the end of this post. 

SO here is the exposure of the beet/wine mix I made to try to make the color stand out a little more. Important to note that there is more wine then beet, it was very little that was mixed to this coating. Overall a good exposure but not quite like the beet itself but a more subtle color and pleasing none the less.


So I got called yesterday to do a ten minute survey about health and got a ten dollar gift certificate to Amazon so I bought this which will help with my process and should of been done earlier but at least Ill have it soon.

So now this leaves me with my todo list of what to experiment with next. 

-Print the negatives that had remains of the leaf dried on
-make a negative on a leaf and print that
-make a mark through fire or heat onto a leaf and print that
-coat paper with all material 
-expose all different emulsions to see how they print
-expose leaves onto themselves to see how they expose
-make a camera obscura to expose a dried leaf and fresh leaf to capture sunlight. 


This is one of the artists that Caleb had told me about while we met and he uses paper inside a camera to capture the sunlight by allowing it to burn onto the surface of the paper. 

Check him out: Chris McCaw http://www.chrismccaw.com/Home.html


No comments:

Post a Comment