Monday, August 19, 2013

Busy Day.....


Here are some experiments that have also been put together today. I coated some more paper with beet, swiss chard, grapes and fennel emulsions today and will be putting another coat on before bed so they are ready for the morning. I am testing a swiss chard leaf in both ways to see how it prints on an anthotype and how a negative may print on the chard. I have found it is all about the way the leaf turns. For instance tree leaves are too "green" with chlorophyll I believe, is too strong of a pigment to change and there for create the difference in color between the leaf and the images being pressed on the leaf. 


Here is a couple kale leaves printing their own roots on themselves. We shall see what this yields. Caleb Charland and I talked about this process when we met and it was something worth trying. Not sure if the print will be anything worthy but the experiment will be worth the shot. Since the kale leave was so good at exposing itll be interesting what it shows after a couple days but I dont think Ill have much luck looking for leaves and their roots such as this. I have a garden and thats the only reason I have this root right now.......


So now I am experimenting with the vegetable on its own matter for emulsion. I coated this paper the other day and I will be putting a plexi over this to keep the singles down to the paper. I also put a large chunk of the red cabbage on the bottom right to see what kind of light may be able to get through and it might be that I leave that portion of the print there for a while to expose. Not sure if the res cabbage is too dense either..... well see.


This is a previous test of a piece of red cabbage on a coated paper but this paper was coated a while ago and was with wine I believe. You can see its organic shape but its not a strong print and it probably could of used a couple more days but it have me something to work with.

This is what happened to the kohlrabi that I exposed. The ring is fascinating but the vegetable itself is a little transparent and so the sin over time really just went through and exposed the center of the vegetable, not like the cucumber. But the leaf is a good leaf to print on and I will use it again.....I wish I could scan my cucumber print but I am going to have to do it once and once only because it will break int he scanner so I am a little hesitant on doing so but I will in order to make prints of these leaves. And even though the idea of printing themselves on each other in interesting maybe its not necessary. Maybe if I find a strong emulsion like beets I can continue with the rest of the ideas just with a beet emulsion. I will be putting another kohlrabi leaf outside today to print. I am trying to set everything up on my porch so that I can potentially throw a tarp over it if it should rain to protect the work but it seems like I have a good week ahead of me and should not have a problem.


Bought some materials today at the store to help organize my digital darkroom and studio. I also bought a large board to hopefully put together another camera obscura that is larger and capable of a larger exposure.....its the building that gets in the way right now because it takes me a little while to figure things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment