Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ideas....thoughts

So I have had a great day! Got into my classroom and prepared for school to start again which will be interesting to see how I can balance life, art, and teaching. Ill think about that more in two weeks. :)

I met with Bev Conway who was a great inspiration to me today. Her recent work is using a process that I admire and am currently in the process of gaining a greater understanding for it as well. Things that came up in out couple hour conversation with her:

Maybe it is about color?
What about the reactions that two materials make while exposing?
Is it about the mark making?
What am I trying to make?
Maybe I do need to work in a mixed media.....
What is important to me?
It is ok that its not an emulsion made of the material being photographed.
Im in a good place.... i think.... :)

Our conversation was strong and long lasting and if I had not had prior plans then it probably would of gone on for some more time. It will happen again Im sure. One thing that stuck with me about this meeting was maturity. This is true and this is why I am here. Events in life have brought me to this place and my maturity has pushed me here to pursue this crazy idea called art.

Things I am going to try:

immersing the paper in the emulsion of choice
composing an image using flowers from my garden
keeping it simple and studying mark making.
embracing the digital side of this process more and being a little more open to scanning my images and looking at them in photoshop.
placing veggies onto emulsion even when its not dry and exposing
coating digital papers to see what kind yields a strong color.
Moving away from the consistent use of the leaves on paper but what do objects do? what if i used something that was completely opposite and not as delicate as a leaf?
When using vegetation can I just throw it and let it fall on the paper? Is composing it going to be too contrived?

Found these artists today, check them out here:

http://www.alchemy-studio.net

James Hajicek and Carol Panaro-Smith


Had some really great things happen today in my exposures and can not wait to let them dry and scan them tomorrow. I will post pictures for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment